Family Focus Free Membership
Thanks to generous financial support from area foundations, corporations and families, the Museum provides free memberships to families in need through our Family Focus program.
Family Focus memberships provide all the benefits of the Museum’s regular Family Membership, along with additional support for caregivers, including free parenting education programs and transportation assistance.
Family Focus membership benefits:
- Unlimited FREE admission for one year for two adults as listed on the membership application, and all children (younger than 18) in the household, or grandchildren
- Free parking vouchers or bus passes for Museum visits
- Discounts on Museum parties and event tickets
- 10% discount on Gift Shop purchases
- Member communications via mail and email
How do I qualify for a Family Focus membership?
Families may qualify for a Family Focus membership if any of the following apply:
- A family has a combined household income of less than $40,000 per year
- A family receives assistance such as Badgercare Insurance/Forward card, Quest, Title 19, WIC or Medicaid
- A child or caregiver has special needs
- A child is in Head Start
- A family has a foster child
- A primary caregiver is actively deployed in the military
- A primary caregiver speaks limited English
Other qualifications may also be considered. If you think you might qualify, but are unsure, please email email@example.com or call 414-390-5437, ext. 228 for English and ext. 226 for Spanish.
How can I apply for a Family Focus membership?
One adult per family must participate in a Family Focus orientation at the Museum and provide proof of qualification including, but not limited to: documents proving participation in BadgerCare Plus, WIC, Title 19, Quest or Head Start; licensed foster parent documentation; an Individualized Education Plan (IEP); a W2 income form; or documents proving that a child is a military dependent with an actively deployed primary caregiver.
Family Focus Orientation
- Pre-registration for the Family Focus orientation. To learn more about the next available orientation dates and to pre-register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 414-390-5437, ext. 228 for English and ext. 226 for Spanish. Please provide your name, a phone number and an email address. Orientations may be scheduled several months in advance and dates fill quickly.
- If you cannot attend on the date for which you have registered, please call the Museum at 414-390-5437, ext. 228 for English and ext. 226 for Spanish to cancel at least 24 hours in advance. Registrants who do not contact us in advance to cancel may lose reservation opportunities for future orientations.
- Upon arrival, please check in at the Museum’s Information Desk and let a Visitor Assistant know that you are registered for the Family Focus orientation.
- The orientation (approximately 40 minutes long) is for adults, and only one adult per family is required to attend. Children are welcome to play in the Museum during the orientation, but they must be accompanied by an adult at all times. For those families who are unable to bring another adult to supervise children in the Museum, child care will be available for children 18 months to 17 years old.
- Families may play in the Museum before and after the orientation; the orientation and Museum visit are free.
- Upon completion of the orientation and a short survey, you will receive a free parking voucher for Milwaukee County’s O’Donnell Park garage or the US Bank garage, or free bus passes.
When do I need to renew my Family Focus membership?
Families eligible to renew may complete a Renewal Application and provide qualifying proof by the last day of the month in which your membership expires. If your membership has been expired for more than two months, participation in an orientation session is required.
How can I renew my Family Focus membership?
- Print the Family Focus renewal application here, or request a renewal application when you visit the Museum.
- Complete the form and mail it, along with a copy of your qualifying proof, to:
Betty Brinn Children’s Museum
Attention: Family Focus
929 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53202-5406
You may also submit your completed renewal form with a copy of your qualifying proof at the Museum’s Information Desk.
- To qualify for renewal, visit the Museum at least four times in a 12-month period and complete a Renewal Application before your membership expires. There is no charge to renew your Family Focus membership for an additional year. If you still qualify for the free membership, but did not visit the Museum at least four times during your membership year, then you may renew your Family Focus membership for $10. You must renew each year during the month it expires, even if you are eligible to renew for free.
If your Family Focus membership has been expired for more than two months, participation in an orientation session is required.
Questions about Family Focus
Please email email@example.com or call 414-390-5437, ext. 228 for English and ext. 226 for Spanish.
Support for Family Focus
Major support for Family Focus is provided by the Herzfeld Foundation, the Northwestern Mutual Foundation, the Zilber Family Foundation, and the Alvin and Marion Birnschein Foundation. Additional support is provided by Brady Corporation, the Vilter Foundation, and A.O. Smith.
If you would like to make a gift to support free memberships for families in need, please click here.