Join us for FREE admission, courtesy of our sponsors, from 5-8 p.m. on the third Thursday of every month! Enjoy access to all of the Museum’s hands-on exhibits, and stop by our Be A Maker space to find tools, materials and techniques for endless ways to experiment and create.
July’s Neighborhood Night theme is Literacy Night! Visitors will have access to early literacy resources for pre-school age children and engaging activities to help prevent the “summer slide” for school-age children, including:
- Free books for children (while supplies last), a suggested summer reading list, and examples of easy, fun reading activities to do at home.
- A registration table for Milwaukee Public Library’s Super Reader summer reading program, along with stories, songs and finger plays that include the opportunity for children to earn a half hour of reading credit in the program (5:30 & 6:30 p.m.).
- A special literacy-themed Be A Maker workshop with DIY comic books.
- Access to the Museum’s fun, hands-on exhibits, including Word Headquarters – a pretend communications company sponsored by Northwestern Mutual Foundation that highlights literacy as the key to a child’s academic and lifelong success.
- Free parent tips and brain building activities to engage early readers through Vroom, an initiative that translates leading research on early brain development into meaningful and actionable activities for families.
Neighborhood Night is presented by Northwestern Mutual Foundation with additional support provided by the Schoenleber Foundation, US Bank, the Joseph and Vera Zilber Charitable Foundation, Inc. and media sponsor FOX6.
Books are generously donated through Northwestern Mutual Make a Child Smile day, a Summerfest admission promotion. Be A Maker programs during Neighborhood Night are presented by the Brady Corporation with additional support provided by PPG.